Saturday, May 25, 2013

Excerpt From The Outre Stranger


“Sean, stop playin’ with your toys and get over here! I have a list of things Mama needs me to pick up at the store, just for you!”
“But I don’t wanna! Why don’t ya do it yourself?” I asked as I lingered in the kitchen, playing with my toys.
        “Get over here NOW, before I tell Mama ‘bout what ya did. If I tell Mama, she’s gonna whoop that rear of yours!” Paula said as she was knitting on our polished rocking chair.
        “OK!” I said as I strolled toward the living room.
        “Here’s the list, be sure to ONLY pick up the things on the list. Stay safe, and finish my chores when ya get back!”
I looked at the list:
-a dozen eggs
-5 large packs of flour
-2 cups of sugar
-6 small packs of yeast



        “This looks like a recipe more than a shopping list, Paula. What do ya think Mama is gonna do with these ingredients?” I questioned Paula, after reading the shopping list.
        “I’ll tell ya a secret, Mama’s trying to bake some bread to sell at the local market on Sunday. She’s trying to save up money to let our whole family go on a lavish vacation to Europe! Sounds exciting, but we will need to save money. Haggle for a good price on the goods so we can save up Sean!”
        “Ok! I will definitely get a bargain price for all the goods. By the way, what’s a dozen?”
        “A dozen is 12, ya understand now?” Paula explained as she handed me $2.00, “don’t spend all of the money!”
        “Will do!” I replied, as I skipped out of the door onto our lawn.

I took a deep breath of the dry desert air as I gazed upon the rough sand and blooming cacti. Hurriedly, I skipped to the local town market, James’, so I could return home with spare time to play with my toys. I stopped at the front door of the short and wide, tan market standing amidst the dry Texan desert. I took a deep breath before I went in the market, because I have never had any good experiences in James’.

Read the rest here
Be back at 3 for the next article!

No comments:

Post a Comment