Monday, April 8, 2013

Letters From a Slave Girl: Feelings and review


This is my review and feelings about the book Letters from a Slave Girl. The reason why I post this today because I am editing a story today and don't have to write something original. Sorry! 

By the way: the word "dumb" also can mean a person who can't speak mainly because of deafness. Weird huh? I didn't know this before. 

Also, there may also be two more stories posted my other members of this blog tomorrow too :). 

Tomorrow, I will start reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett and write my feelings of the book as I read. Yay!

Letters from a Slave Girl
By: Mary E. Lyons.
Publisher: Simon Pulse

What does lancet mean?
a small broad two edged surgical knife

Haha Harriet says that she has never seen anyone get better after the doctor finished his bleeding cure. I wonder why...

Why would someone put silver dollars on someone's eyes to keep them closed? It's not like you're going to see then again after they are buried.
Too bad Harriet's master Margaret Horniblow  died. She seemed like a nice lady, she  taught Harriet to read and  spell and how to stitch fine clothing. I hope Harriet gets to be free.

Wow! Harriet's family is very crafty. She can stitch clothing, and her dad is a fine carpenter.

Wow, her grandma is a good cook! I wonder what if Harriet's mom was crafty like the other three, but she's dead.

I can't believe Harriet only knew she was a slave until she was six. Shouldn't her parents have told her earlier?

What's a pound cake?
rich cake containing a pound of ingredients

"It stuck like pine tar to the rolling pin." Nice simile!

What's a pony glass of sugar?
140 milliliters of sugar

Someone asked Gran to borrow $300 ! I don't think she will get it back.

Harriet might get free but I don't think so. Even though her master was really nice, I think her master will give her to a relative.

I think Harriet is getting her hopes too high.

The day has come and I was right! Nobody became free. I think it's funny how Harriet's new master is Doctor Norcom and he was the one that gave Harriet's old master the bleeding cure.

The  Norcoms are mean to Harriet. They don't let her write so she has to secretly write letters.

I noticed that before she moved in with the Norcoms, she had the full date (10 July, 1825) but now, she only has the month and year! (September, 1825).  I wonder why she doesn't know the date.

Oh no! Harriet's father died recently.

What's a jawbone?
an attempt to persuade or pressure by force of someone’s authority

Harriet had a baby, I think she is too young, even though she wants freedom.

Harriet runs away and leaves her children behind. I think it's kind of selfish but she I'd planning to get the children's father to buy their children.

Hooray, Harriet's children are sold to their father. Harriet switches to a new hiding place in Gran's house. Her children haven't seen her yet but I do wonder how she switched her hiding place without being seen.

Harriet wrote a letter to Dr. Norcom saying that she is in the free states. Hire clever! I don't think Norcom will ever look in Gran's house. He will probably keep on searching on the free states.

Oh no! Ever since Samuel, father of Harriet's children left, things have changed. He got married! He cheated on her. I wonder if the children will be free. Harriet's brother, John is Samuel's slave.

Louisa is brought back to New York by Samuel. I wonder if Harriet will ever see Louisa again.


I can't believe Harriet never visited her grandmother after she left Edenton. It's really sad how Gran never was able to join Harriet, her children, and John up in the north before she died.
I don’t understand why John and Joseph left to Australia forever. I mean at least bring Louisa and Harriet along. Harriet was very nice to her children and she has been alone for a very long time. At least she still has Louisa.

Oh no! Harriet died and she is buried next to her brother in Cambridge.

Setting

The story takes place in Edenton, North Carolina. It takes place between 1825-1897. In the beginning, Harriet lives in the Norcom plantation but she eat escapes and lives in her grandmother's home. Towards the end if her life, she lived in the north around Boston and New York.

Main characters

I think that the main characters are Harriet and Gran. I sympathize Harriet because she had to live in the hole of Gran's home for seven years. She couldn't get any exercise and she couldn't talk to her children. She also lost both of her parents at a very young age.
I think the antagonist is Dr. Norcom because he is Harriet's owner. If he caught Harriet, he'd probably hurt her and Gran.
Harriet is the protagonist because she was a hero to many people. When she moved to the North, she started an abolitionist movement. Even though her life wasn't very good in the beginning, she never took revenge, but instead she helped others who were in need like Gran.
One of the major decision that Harriet had to make was running away with a chance of never seeing her children again. I think that the her decision was very heroic because she risked her life just so her children could have freedom. If I were Harriet, I wouldn't have escaped because I would be too scared.

This novel relates to the civil war because it's mainly about a girl running away from slavery. You can probably tell that it has ties with the civil war if you only read the cover of the book.

I think this novel is a realistic  representation if the civil war because the civil war was mainly about slavery. Even though it doesn't talk about fighting, it shows what happens as a result of the civil war. The only thing I didn't really like about this novel was that towards the end of the book, it stopped showing letters and it just became a third person point of view like a history book.

If you want to contribute to the blog or have any suggestions, please comment down below, or email me at abohanan63@gmail.com :)

Bye!
-thecat

No comments:

Post a Comment